Saturday 20 September 2014

Beetroot Chutney

I have these to use up:



Beetroot, cooking apples and onions make up a holy trinity of ingredients that taste wonderful together. This week I've already made up a batch of soup and today I am trying out a Darina Allen recipe for chutney.

There's a good bit of a peelin' and a choppin' to be done. I waited until my small man was napping and sat on the floor by the open back door listening to music and peacefully getting to work. It was quite therapeutic.

Ingredients


900g raw beetroot peeled and diced
450g cooking apples peeled and chopped
450g onions peeled and chopped
25g ginger grated
1tsp salt
600ml cider vinegar
350g granulated sugar

Sterilised jars and lids

Method


Put all the chopped fruit and vegetables in a big pot, add the ginger and salt and pour over the vinegar.

Stir to mix, cover and bring to a simmer. Cook for 1-1.5 hours until the beetroot is soft.

Add the sugar, mix and cook for a further 15 minutes until the chutney is thick. I removed the lid, turned up the heat and gave it a good bubbling for the last 5 minutes.




Pour into sterilised jars and seal.

The mix filled these jars almost exactly (about 1200g jar space - nutmeg for scale):




It looks great and tastes gorgeous, rich and sweet but not overly:




I'll definitely make this again.



4 comments:

  1. Hope to try this recipe out this weekend as bought a bunch of beetroot but was only wanting a small piece of beetroot (Beetroot and carrot recipe given by masseuse to cleanse tummy) but couldn't go pass the $4 per bunch of large beetroot (HUGE!). I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Olivia, I'm hoping to try out your recipe as bought a bunch of beetroot (HUGE I tell ya) in the weekend (Only $4!!!) but I'm only needing a small piece (Beetroot & carrot recipe - great tummy cleanser) so I was trying to think of what to do with the leftovers. I'll keep you posted

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe. Result was great. I add some dried cranberries and they taste good in chutney.

    Thanks
    Viney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I'm reading in Canada. Zone 2. Beets grow well. Chutney sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments...if only to know that someone is reading this blog!